view Foderingham's match-by-match record
post a message about Foderingham

A former England under-19 international goalkeeper initially signed on a three month loan deal from Crystal Palace, after injury to first choice keeper Phil Smith in October 2011, Foderingham made a superb start to his Town career - after making his debut in a 2-0 away win at Accrington Stanley, he became the first Town custodian to keep clean sheets in every one of his first five league matches, and just missed out on equalling the overall club record of six after conceding in a 1-1 draw at AFC Wimbledon in November.

Just a few weeks into his loan spell, Town boss Paolo di Canio was already talking about extending his deal if possible - and though a permanent deal was originally considered to be unlikely, by the end of December, Palace boss Dougie Freedman confirmed that negotiations were underway, with Foderingham still third choice at Selhurst Park. Foderingham soon signed a two-and-a-half year deal for an undisclosed fee - the new signing pointing to the club's ambition and support as key factors in his decision to move.

The signing was one of the most important of the season - Foderingham pulling off numerous superb saves, often at crucial times, as Swindon moved up the league standings - and incredibly, he conceded just one goal in the league at the County Ground all season - keeping sixteen clean sheets out of seventeen at home. After equalling Fraser Digby's record of consecutive games without conceding, Matt Richards' goal for Shrewsbury prevented him from breaking the record - only for Foderingham to break it at the second attempt, by not conceding in any of his last nine home games.

Foderingham was virtually ever-present after signing - rested only for a Johnstone's Paint Trophy tie against AFC Wimbledon in November (a competition in which he was on the losing team at Wembley, after the Town reached the final), until he was implicated in a late night drinking session at the end of the season - Town boss di Canio punishing the guilty parties by leaving them out of a trip to Gillingham. Though Swindon lost the game without him, results elsewhere meant that promotion was secured at Priestfield - and after the game, Foderingham was mobbed by a crowd of celebrating Town fans as he tried to drive away from the ground. After issuing an apology, Foderingham returned to the side the following weekend, as Swindon sealed the League Two championship in style, with a 5-0 win over Port Vale.

With Phil Smith leaving at the end of the season, Foderingham was handed the number one shirt for the new campaign - and with only first year professional Leigh Bedwell as cover, Foderingham was virtually unchallenged for his starting position, and he added to his record of home clean sheets in the opening games of the season, with the Town recording victories to nil over Brighton, Crawley and Milton Keynes Dons, as well as a goalless draw at Hartlepool - his superb record attracting scouts from both the England under-21 and British Olympic set-ups.

It was the fifth match of the season before Foderingham conceded his first goal of the season - and he was adjudged by some to have been partially at fault for at least one of the goals, as the Town surrendered a two goal lead at Premier League Stoke in the Carling Cup, before dramatically sealing a memorable 4-3 victory in the last minute of extra time. The following weekend, a clearance from Foderingham was charged down at Preston, allowing the hosts to take an early lead at Deepdale - when the Town conceded a second soon after, boss Paolo di Canio took the remarkable step of substituting the Town keeper, replacing him with Bedwell to make his League debut just 22 minutes into the game. Obviously unhappy, Foderingham stormed off the pitch, and went to sit with the travelling support, before di Canio let rip in his post-match interview - accusing Foderingham of arrogance and behaving as the “worst professional” he has ever seen, the Town boss threatened to drop him from the side if he failed to apologise to the fans. With captain Paul Caddis already excluded from the squad, many Town fans feared the worst - but the following day, the two men held ‘clear the air’ talks, culminating in a public apology from Foderingham, and he was reinstated to the side for the 1-0 defeat at Oxford in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy two days later.

If the substitution was a ploy to motivate the only player in the Town squad with little competition for his starting place, then it proved to be a masterstroke - Foderingham’s form soon picking up, as the Town pushed for back-to-back promotions, and though he was often a spectator, especially during home games, he would often pull out a superb stop when called upon. After di Canio resigned in February, Foderingham made arguably the save of the season for new boss Kevin MacDonald’s first game in charge - stopping a powerful header from former Town striker Leon Clarke from point-blank range, which would have put the Town two behind in a game they went on to win 2-1.

As the Town’s form dipped towards the end of the season, and their challenge for automatic promotion fell away, Foderingham seemed to develop a crazy streak - conceding three penalties when quickly rushing out from his goal-line to close down strikers, and also twice being punished for handling the ball outside the area, prompting MacDonald to tell his goalkeeper to “calm down a bit”, as his side prepared for the play-offs. After drawing the first leg with Brentford, Foderingham was called into action time and again in the second leg - and though he conceded on three occasions, his saves helped keep the Town in the game, as Aden Flint’s last gasp equaliser took the game to extra-time. Foderingham made at least two superb stops during the extra period, before going down with cramp just before the end of the game - a knock that arguably impeded the Town keeper during the penalty shootout, in which the Bees scored all of their penalties to win through to the final.

Despite missing out on promotion, it was a superb season for Foderingham personally, as he almost cleaned up at the end of season awards - being named as the Supporters Club, SAS Away Travel and Disabled Supporters Group Player of the Year, as well as runner-up in the Swindon Advertiser Player of the Year award, and also being named in the PFA Team of the Year as the top goalkeeper in the division. Though a number of clubs were rumoured to be showing an interest in his services, and despite a revolution in the playing staff over the close season, Foderingham signed a new two year deal until the summer of 2015.


Played Gls Played Gls Played Gls Played Gls Played Gls
'14/'15 47 - 1 - 2 - - - 50 -
'13/'14 41 - - - 3 - 2 - 46 -
'12/'13 48 - 1 - 4 - 1 - 54 -
'11/'12 33 - 4 - - - 4 - 41 -
TOTAL 169 - 6 - 9 - 7 - 191 -


14 OCT 2011 IN Crystal Palace
6 JAN 2012 IN Crystal Palace
Undisclosed fee ()
1 JUN 2015 OUT (released)
» Rangers

full name

Wesley Andrew Foderingham

U-19 international apps

date of birth
14 January 1991


usual positions

youth career

senior career
Carshalton Athletic
Crystal Palace
Bromley (loan)
Boreham Wood (loan)
Histon (loan)

website links