view Cureton's match-by-match record

A small striker who had tormented Swindon in the past when with local rivals Reading, Cureton signed a two year deal with the Town in July 2005, having been released by Queens Park Rangers, shortly after top scorer Sam Parkin had moved to Ipswich Town. With Tony Thorpe also arriving from Loftus Road, Town fans that had been disappointed following Parkin's departure were suddenly optimistic again - unfortunately neither player's time at the County Ground started off as planned.

Cureton endured a unmemorable debut - missing one decent second half chance and having a penalty saved in a 2-0 defeat at Barnsley, and another miss - hitting the post in the dying seconds of the home game with Oldham - denied the Town what would have been a remarkable but undeserved comeback from three goals down. By the end of August, having not registered a goal in the first five games of the campaign, Cureton found himself relegated to the bench - by the middle of September, he was left out of the squad completely. In an interview with the Evening Advertiser, Cureton admitted to not playing well and feeling as low as he had ever done, but also pointed to the lack of service he had received as a reason.

With Swindon at the bottom of the table, manager Andy King was sacked, and new man Iffy Onuora was quick to point out to Cureton that he didn't fit in with the style of play that the Town were now going to be playing. Though he made a couple of substitute appearances under Onuora, Cureton didn't get much of a look-in, especially after the signing of Hameur Bouazza, a pacy striker signed on loan from Watford. Cureton's name was circulated on the "available for loan" list, and Cureton was also particularly scathing in his Adver column, complaining that Onuora had not given him a chance to impress, and that he couldn't impress if he wasn't playing.

Within a week, Cureton was allowed to join Colchester on a month's loan, where former team mate Phil Parkinson was manager. He made a good start, scoring on his full debut for the U's, then scoring a brace the following week in an FA Cup tie. Despite the goals, Onuora allowed Colchester to extend his loan until the end of the year - and the fact that Cureton had been allowed to become cup-tied pointed to an expected permanent deal to materialise come the transfer window in January. Cureton continued his good form, going onto score seven goals in his nine appearances, before the loan expired. Cureton himself seemed to prefer that his deal was made permanent in another Adver interview, and clearly did not expect to return.

Surprisingly though, with Bouazza's loan deal also expired, Cureton was again to feature in a Town shirt - being thrown into the starting line-up for an away game at Hartlepool on 2nd January, having become available again on the 1st. Before the month was out, Cureton finally opened his Town account, with the opening goal in a 4-2 win over Bournemouth, and his relief at scoring was evident - so much so that he didn't know which way to turn to celebrate, and ended up in front of the Cherries fans in the North Stand! The goal prompted a run of seven goals in seven home matches - including a goal-of-the-season effort that won a relegation battle with Walsall, and both goals in a 2-0 victory over Chesterfield in March.

Despite this home form, Cureton failed to score away from the County Ground, and though he was scoring goals, his game was littered with many spurned opportunities - most notably in matches against fellow relegation candidates Rotherham, Yeovil and Hartlepool, the latter of which saw Cureton have a tame penalty saved. Frustrations boiled over after a home defeat by MK Dons - with fans in the Town End voicing their dispproval, Cureton reacted by arguing with some of them - later saying that they had told him to "so and so back to Bristol". After that incident, Cureton started just one more game - a 3-1 defeat by Brentford that all but condemned the Town to League Two - though he did come off the bench to miss another golden opportunity at Bristol City - Cureton failing to score in any of the last seven games of the season. Perhaps surprisingly, Cureton was voted as runner-up in the player of the season awards, coming second to Rhys Evans.

Once the season ended, Cureton was quick to point out that he didn't want to play in League Two - through his column in the Adver, he said he would like to pursue any opportunity he might be offered at a higher level. It also soon became apparent that Cureton had a clause in his contract, allowing him a free transfer if Swindon were relegated. Within a month, Phil Parkinson moved to sign him on a permanent basis, and he returned to Colchester, who had since been promoted to the Championship.


Played Gls Played Gls Played Gls Played Gls Played Gls
'05/'06 22 (+8) 7 - - (+1) - (+1) - 22 (+10) 7
TOTAL 22 (+8) 7 - - (+1) - (+1) - 22 (+10) 7


1 JUL 2005 IN Queens Park Rangers
21 OCT 2005 OUT Colchester United
1 JAN 2006 IN Colchester United
(loan return)
2 JUN 2006 OUT Colchester United
Free transfer

full name

Jamie Cureton

youth international apps

date of birth
28 August 1975


usual positions
centre forward

youth career
Norwich City

senior career
Norwich City
AFC Bournemouth (loan)
Bristol Rovers (loan)
Bristol Rovers
Busan I'cons 
Queens Park Rangers
Colchester United (loan)
Colchester United
Norwich City
Barnsley (loan)
Shrewsbury Town (loan)
Exeter City
Leyton Orient
Exeter City (loan)
Exeter City
Cheltenham Town
Dagenham & Redbridge
St. Albans City
Farnborough (loan)

assistant academy coach

Bishop's Stortford

Enfield (loan)

Bishop's Stortford