Monday, 27th April, 1914


   Swindon won the Southern League championship on Saturday, when they managed to effect a goalless draw at Ninian Park, Cardiff. The absence of Fleming was a serious handicap, and on the whole Swindon were somewhat lucky to escape with a point. Something like 25,000 spectators were present to witness a fairly interesting encounter.
   For the first quarter of an hour, Swindon made spirited dashes on the home goal, but Brittan and Doncaster put up a great defence, while the Swindon forwards also missed one or two good chances. Cardiff afterwards attacked almost persistently up to the interval, and had not Skiller been in his most convincing form they would have undoubtedly have had a goal or two, for the Swindon wing halves were incapable of holding the Cardiff wings. The home team were quickly at it on the resumption, and Skiller was frequently called into action. He made a magnificent save from West, and others from Devlin and Seymour, while Kay and Giles put up a great show at full-back. Try as they would, the home team could not score, and when Wheatcroft received the ball from a breakaway by the Swindon forwards with only the goalie to beat, it looked as though the visitors would carry off both points. But the centre missed his chance, and Cardiff immediately took up the attack again, Seymour and J. F. West on their right wing, exhibiting a fine understanding, and causing danger on many occasions to the Swindon citadel. However, nothing was scored, and the Town thus won the Championship for the second time in their career - a feat upon the achievement of which they are to be most heartily congratulated. Full-time:

CARDIFF CITY        ....    ....    ....    ....    0
SWINDON TOWN  ....    ....    ....    ....    0


   The Champions had a fine reception from the large and enthusiastic band of supporters who accompanied them when they entrained for the return journey, and on their arrival at Swindon G.W.R. Station, they found another band of enthusiasts waiting to welcome them home. Skiller was the hero of the hour, for the excursionists had already found time to communicate the fact to their friends that the goalkeeper had saved the match for the "Robins," and though the player in question was anxious to escape, he had to submit to many "pats on the back" and a somewhat brief "chairing." The other players managed to escape lightly.